If you are getting your home ready for the real estate market, here is a cheap way to make your bathroom look so much better. This is one of the home staging tips I give during consultations. After all, we all live in our houses and have only so much energy to clean after we have worked all day!
Just cleaning the bathroom already makes it feel newer. When the grout is cleaned, the look goes up a big level!
Walking into a bathroom for the first time and seeing discoloured grout or mold on the tiles can be off-putting for potential buyers.
They are no longer envisioning a spa. We want buyers to love the feel, look, and smell of our bathrooms.
Whether it is mold in the shower, urine around the toilet or just discoloured grout from too many years of wear and little cleaning, you must try fixing it before selling your home. Here are some ideas which you can try:
1. Wash your floors with soap and water with a bit of bleach. If you prefer using a more natural solution you can create your own ‘All-Purpose Natural Cleaner Recipe:
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon baking soda
Place in an empty spray bottle and see if you can get the grout clean with it.
2. I find these products are good but could be toxic if inhaled so make sure there is a lot of ventilation when you use them. Tilex grout cleaner works. You can apply it, leave the room, come back 20 minutes later with a brush, and brush the grout. Make sure you are wearing gloves because it is corrosive and your windows are open. You can also try bleach with water. Lots of ventilation is needed as you brush the grout.
3. I had a customer show me Lysol Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner with bleach. This is super. It is thicker than water-gel like. You put it on the tiles and let it soak. Brush and then you will see the difference. MAKE SURE YOUR PETS ARE NOT LICKING THIS!
4. The most laborious solution is grinding out the old grout and putting in new grout.
5. Once I staged a home where the kitchen was brand new and was put on old tiles with old discoloured grout. They ended up buying a grout paint and the floor looked new. Mapei carries a Grout Refresh and Home depot carries GroutRenew. I don’t know how long this treatment will last, but it helped sell the home.
Hope these tips helped. Feel free to share grout cleaning solutions with us!